Sep 26, 2007

In Don Vito we trust.


I find it very hard to trust people. It is in my nature to be very reserved when it comes to friendships. When I was little I had some strange lessons in trusting people, letting me develop, later in life, a huge wall. I started to become, and this is the only example I can give you, Don Vito in a woman's body. All I can say is that when I saw that movie, I kind of got him. I thought that he had the key to a long, prosperous life. Your word is key. If I say I will have your back, then I will do it until I die, and I expect it from you in return. Period. If you screw with me or with someone I care for, I will take you down, and all around you. I kind of like that eye for an eye way of life.

Why the fuck is Me going on another rant today? Let's just say I had a very strange day. All I could remember, for all the long hours that my day turned out to be, was... Friendship and money, oil and water. I can even see the scene now. Don Vito's son. Michael... saying that line. Amazing, sad... and true.

Look. I will not go into this because I really just want to make the alcohol make it all go away. Of all the bullshit I have written about alcohol and not being good for us... I really have to be honest and say that sometimes you need that drink to make the rough ends seem smoother.

But I can't go to sleep and not write about it, just because I know that there are some people out there who have their own business and are trusting people left and right. DON'T. It's a doggy dog world out there. You have to be careful. If someone lets you down, even in the smallest way... don't expect that they won't do it again. How does the line go? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Find that your boss is an asshole? He has rights. Many of his peers, at one point, have wanted to take him/her down. I am starting to understand a lot from this industry. And it all comes down to this: not only advertising sucks. Sometimes people do as well.

Live long and prosper.

4 comments:

RestrictionsApply said...

This is exactly why I can count my friends using the fingers I have on just ONE hand. In life and in business, I’ve learned that people are innately real assholes, whether intentional or not. They say that forgiveness is a virtue, but fuck that. Nothing would give me more pleasure than putting the people that have screwed me over the years through great pain and suffering. I would even enjoy delivering the punishment. Why forgive and let these fuckers live the good life? As the great Orson Welles once said, “behind every great fortune there is an even greater crime.”

Sorry if I sound bitter, but Me’s post just stirred some venom I have deep within me.

Daniel Holter said...

I, too, am done trusting people. I'll trust after verification. Taken it one too many times without any lube, frankly. I choose to NOT return the pleasure to others, and merely attempt to live and interact the way I'd like to be treated.

Having a teeny tiny circle of trust-with-your-life friends is PLENTY.

Me said...

If people screw you over, they will do it again. No bullshit "I'm sorry, this will never happen again" can change that.

This is why I don't give second chances TO ANYONE. Period. My business parter used to think I was wrong about this. He's sentimental in that way, I guess, or he has faith in people.

Yesterday, all I can say is... he thinks like me now.

Unknown said...

Funny you should write this, I just did a post about five days ago on trust. Basically I feel the way you do.

p.s. I believe it's a "dog-eat-dog world" as in watch your back or I'll screw you and not in a good way.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...