Nov 1, 2007

Revisited: American Beauty


A couple of weeks ago I was at home with no real energy to do anything. Flipping channels, I stumbled on American Beauty. It was the best thing. The pleasure of watching a movie you had forgotten how much you love is special. So I decided to write an extremely belated review of what I consider one of the masterpieces (whoa, what a word) of movie making.

Talk about a great script!!! The actors? Flawless. Sometimes I think this movie was based on real life, because it's so close to home... We've all met stupid wives who manipulate their husbands into total despair. We've all known young adults who are so lost that it's painful to watch. I can even bet we've had strange neighbors, who makes us wonder... who moved the rock?

American Beauty is a great example of a very painful side of life. A man has lost almost all will to exist, and suddenly opens his eyes to realize there is more out of life. Kevin Spacey, in a space of about two hours (aprox) makes us pity him and then admire the shit out of him. Annette Bening is a total asshole wife who at first we will hate with our guts, then to make us understand that the only problem that she has is that she as well is lost in her determination to be what she isn't: perfect.

I have always had a special place in my little heart for that movie. Maybe I was Spacey once in my life, and I too wanted to snap out of it. Maybe I was the little girl played by Thora Birch, confused with the many bad people around her and wanting no more than pure and passionate love. Who knows, I just loved it and still do.

So... Haven't met the Beauty? By all means, click your way to Netflix and rent it. I know you will fall in love with it as well.

Live long, don't give a shit so much, and prosper.

1 comments:

RestrictionsApply said...

Yes, this movie really is something special. I've watched it a few times and always discover something new. It works on so many levels: midlife crisis, suburbia, teen angst, self realization, etc.
These kinds movies happen only once in a while.

Speaking of films one should revisit, I recommend we take another look at:
- Marvin's Room
- Belle Epoque
- Touch of Evil
- What's Eating Gilbert Grape
- Pan's Labyrinth
- The Game
- Deliverance
- Dog Day Afternoon

Get ready to put that NetFlix account on high gear

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...