Dec 27, 2007

I am Dissapointed: I am Legend, the review.


A couple of weekends ago, I saw I am Legend. Why did I forget to review it as soon as I came home? Well... apart from the fact that I got busy, and in the nice way... It also sucked so much balls that it wasn't a priority. Let me give you the basics.

First of all, you think: this is going to be decent. Will Smith is always a sure bet that you will enjoy the movie. Granted, this is not All the President's Men or American Beauty, but you think... the Fresh Prince will not let me down. Well, he doesn't. But the movie does.

I am Legend is, for those who live in Uranus (yep, the butt), the remake of that weird classic SciFi The Omega Man. The last man on Earth after a very weird virus kills every living thing. Good premise. It starts off, brilliant. New York City, empty. The shots of him living and driving around the greatest Island in the world... priceless. According to TravisFckr, most of the shots were done without CGI or with the least amount possible. So, in other words: they closed Times Square, 6th Avenue, South Street Seaport... Amazing shit. Also, the decay of the city is astonishing. If, by God's will this sort of thing happens, the movie is very realistic in that way, making the city a lost paradise of grass, wild animals and silence. So, the first half hour of the movie is great.

But then...

Tah Dah! Cue the monsters. Wait. Let me rephrase that. Cue the stupid looking CGI monsters. Damn man. Talk about screwing up a great film. The moment you see them, all hope is lost. You can't concentrate on anything else. You think: crappy. Crappy. Crappy CGI! It doesn't matter that Smith is damn good, the monsters eat the whole thing up, and in a not cool, let me scare you kind of way.

What, pray tell, is the problem with the monsters? Well, they look... cartoonish. In fact, think of Casper, make him have a nice crack cocaine hit, and that's what you end up with. Awkward movements, funny looking skin... Just stupid. Stoopid stupid. Then, you get mad. What happened to the budget? Did you run out of decent money to make puppets or dress people up? Don't tell me it can't be done. I can remember Alien 4, the weird Ripley and Alien mix at the end, which to this day scares the shit out of me... just a damn puppet. Fuck! Even C3PO is more believable than this shit!

So... yeah. My review? Wait for it to be run on TBS, then watch the first 30 minutes. After that... go scratch something. It will be more entertaining, trust me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This I am legend should be called "I am stupid". I can't believed I wasted 2 hrs watching this crap. Will Smith and the Dog (Sam) was good. The monsters are so fake. The CGI is so bad. I was smart not to leave the theather and got my money back by going into another auditorium to watch National Treasure: Book of Secrets. Otherwise, I will run to movie ticket counter and ask for my money back.

Will Smith should have said no after his role in I-Robot.

Damion S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damion S. said...

Ever since Will Smith did Independence Day he's Mr. Sci-fi now? I'm not a big fan of Will Smith as you can tell but I went into this movie with an open mind. I must say the CGI SUCKED! WTF? All three Lord of the Rings movies had a combination of actors in suits,puppets, and CGI and they couldn't even do that for ONE movie? I Am Legend is more like I Am BULLSHIT! Instead of watching this crap watch the ORIGINAL Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price or Omega Man with Charlton Heston

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...