Nov 5, 2008

A New Hope.

Today I was talking to my good friend RestrictionsApply. We were talking about Obama's win and what it meant for us. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to write about this because... well, I need to acknowledge history in the making. You see, for as long as I've had reason, I thought that would never, in a million years, happen. An intelligent, able black man has been chosen to lead. For me, it was, just a dream. Not for me, but because I know how ugly and dumb people can be. I mean, come on. In a world where a woman earns less than a man in a same position, where gays cannot marry because people cannot fathom the idea of two people loving each other regardless of being of the same sex, where abortion doctors get a bullet in their heads because women want a choice... it just seemed impossible.

But last night, something happened. Yes, Obama won. That wasn't the only thing that made me go aaaaaaaah. As I sat there, watching the acceptance speech, the camera panned into the thousands of people waiting to hear him. And suddenly, my eyes got teary. It wasn't the music, it wasn't the setting. It was just the fact that as the camera moved, you could see people of all colors and ages looking up and smiling. It was just striking to me that this group of people, diverse as night and day, had all come together to do something for their future. You just had to see their smiles and get it. They had hope and they worked together to make it happen.

Thank you, honestly, for all of you out there who got dressed, got out and voted. Why? My faith in human kind has been restored.



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...