Sep 3, 2009

Open Letter to Disney…

Dear Disney:
You and I have had a rocky relationship at best. I’ve never really bought into your brand of hyper-realistic, borderline racist outputs with unbalanced moral values. On top of that, you’ve seduced my faminly and I’ve reluctantly spent gobs of money financing their addiction. I haven’t dropped you off my Friends List yet because to do so would be to tear a hole in the hearts of my wife and daughter.

And then you go and buy Marvel Comics…

Ok, I get it. You need to reach a tween male demographic, something that has eluded you since forever. Sure, you’ve got toddlers, kids, and girls covered, but Nickelodeon’s been kicking your butt in the 12-and-over boys category. I understand. Wise business decision.

Also, you might actually be of great help to Marvel, what with your efficient and far-reaching infrastructure – production, distribution, manufacturing, retail, marketing, technological innovation, etc. I can see how this marriage could be mutually beneficial and I respect that. Marvel, after all, has been faltering and their effort in exporting the brand beyond comic book page has been dismal.

All I ask is that you treat Marvel with the respect and autonomy they deserve. Do with them what you have done with Pixar. Pixar has been good to Disney and I am confident that if you keep the leash loose, your partnership will be a match made in heaven.

Regards…

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...