Dec 7, 2009

Guilty pleasures of 2009

It’s that time of year again, when pop culture goes ballistic with year-end wrap ups that go something like “The best _____ of 2009” or “The Top ____ of the Year.” It’s human nature to sum up everything and analyze what’s happened.

So, to go along with the flow, I now present WAS readers with RestrictionsApply’s Top Guilty Pleasures of 2009:

Television: Drop Dead Diva. I wrote about this before. This show took me by surprise. It’s what happens when you let the wife take control of the remote on Sunday nights. One look at the more-than-a-handful of woman that is Jane the size 16 lawyer, and I was hooked. I never imagined that the Lifetime network would become frequent viewing.

Music: Taylor Swift. I have a 19 year-old stepdaughter and a 7 year-old girl. When the two get together, you get a 15 year-old force to be reckoned with. It’s amazing to what degree kids influence your pop culture tastes. Both girls can’t get enough Taylor Swift, or Lady GaGa for that matter, so when the Kanye/Swift fiasco broke out on MTV, I had no choice but to give the girl a chance on my iPod. She’s now in the Top 25 Most Played playlist…

Books: “Eat. Pray. Love.” by Elizabeth Gilbert. I’m not one to go down the self-help/memoir/pseudo intellectual/self-analyzing/academic ivory tower route when it comes to bedside reading, but this book was delicious. It’s the (true) story of a WASP woman scorned, who travels the world to discover herself. Along the way she provides insight as to everything that was wrong with her life and the people she surrounded herself with, nuggets of which connected with my own experiences and all of the hypocritical assholes I have to deal with day after day. If anything, rather than shedding light on how to live, the book taught me how NOT to live. I know, the book came out several years ago, but I read it in 2009 so... BTW, the book is being adapted into a movie starring Julia Roberts.

Movies: Fast & Furious. Hey, I have a weak spot for a dirty and sweaty Michelle Rodriguez, even if she’s in the film for less than 20 minutes…

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...