Mar 9, 2010

Thank you Lord for my Good Hair. A review.



I can remember when I was little, my mom combing my hair and being happy. She told me that I had "Good Hair" and I didn't understand what she meant. What could possibly be good about having long black straight hair? But I loved her curly hair! It seemed cool and so easy to maintain! What could she possibly mean??? Ah. The beauty of being 4 years old.

Last night I saw Chris Rock's "Good Hair", a documentary that, yes, talks about hair.

Ok let's take a break for our male readers so they can understand, ok? Cool.

Hey men out there. Hi! So to give you the basics, "Good Hair" is considered wavy, soft hair. Hair that moves, isn't so curly. Think Farah Fawcett. Bad hair is anything from afro to really curly hair that just puffs up like it's a really bad marshmallow. Hey. HEY! This is NOT my definition, ok? This is just what it is, from as long as I can remember, having heard it all my life. Curly equals bad. Flat or wavy equals good. If you don't believe me, walk into a salon and count the people that actually leave with curly hair instead of a sleek blowout. If there's any one sporting their natural curls, take a picture. It's a miracle.

What compelled Rock to do this documentary? The best reason in the whole world. His daughters. You see, they are really young and already are sad because they don't have good hair. And their dad really wants for them to embrace their natural looks and don't fall to the traps of advertising, Hollywood and beauty - like the rest of us have. So he embarked on a trip to learn why natural curly or afro hair is considered a no-no. Why weaves, wigs, blow outs and relaxers are so damn popular. Trust me, it is one of the funniest documentaries you will ever see this year.

Beauty is a very dangerous business. Look. I have straight hair and even I wanted to have it even straighter (if that is a word). Once I put on relaxer, because I wanted to have hair like Japanese women - totally flat. Of course, it worked, but it hurt like hell. The lengths of how idiotic we can go to look good... it's amazing.

So, rent it if you can, it's available on your cable On Demand movies and at Netflix. A very cool couple of hours, indeed.

2 comments:

RestrictionsApply said...

Wouldn't it be nice if people just accepted how they look. Nothing is more beautiful than confidence...

Me said...

Kind of difficult when you see Sandra Bullock not eating a burger for three months just to get in that Oscar dress, dude. These types of things makes women go mad...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...