May 2, 2010

The undefeated streak continues, Fucking Mayweather....

The event has come and gone and I don't think many boxing fans would have minded having a heart attack during the break between rounds 2 and three of the Shane Mosley Floyd Mayweather fight. Unfortunately, I at least sat through the whole fight and saw yet another notch be formed on Mayweather's belt.

Now before you go thinking I'm suddenly a Mayweather fan, the fact remains that until Shane, he's ducked a ton of people and yes some people will make a case that Shane is over the hill, etc. etc. etc. I for one will not be so kind to Shane Mosley. Being a Shane fan I was wishing and begging for Shane to impose his supposed strength, push the action and make it a rough fight... and he did just that... for two rounds. Round two shall forever go down in the books as the round most people smiled in a Mayweather fight... then things became all too familiar and phrases like "he's too good", "he's getting outclassed" and this isn't even competitive began to creep into the dialogue.

If you want it put simply, if any boxer fights Mayweather's fight, there is absolutely no chance in hell anyone can beat him. If you don't make it a physical and aggressive fight. There's no way in hell anyone can beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. If you don't hit on the clinch, if you don't dirty box, if you're not willing to take three shots to land one, and if you try and potshot with the king of sharp shooting, no one will beat Floyd Mayweather Jr.

If you want to look for excuses for Shane, you can find a few and you suck for using them as a crutch. I won't mention the reach advantage, the age advantage or the ring rust. I won't even say that maybe Shane over trained. Fuck that. Shane lost the fight because he fought Mayweather's fight for nine rounds and I even wanted him to get knocked out at one point because I was so frustrated. I don't know how many times Shane had Floyd on the ropes and no punches were thrown. I don't know how many times Shane tried to size up and counter Floyd and I also lost count of the times where I screamed towards the screen and tried to transfer some of my life force into a boxer that suddenly seemed unwilling to engage.

It could have been Mayweather's brilliance, Shane might have gotten tired or who knows if there was even money under the table; I have no clue and as stated above, I'm not interested in nurturing a kind respond to Shane Mosley and for the first time ever, I've been able to come away from a Shane fight feeling animosity towards him.

I could offer you a round by round breakdown, but instead I'll just offer the major themes in the fight.

Rounds 1 and 2 Shane won and he won the second round decisively to the point of making Floyd look like he was on his way to the canvas.

Rounds 3 and onward, Floyd hit Shane with the punches he wanted to and made Shane look like a complete fool and utterly outclassed.

BTW, my feelings towards Mayweather do not change. I still think he's a supremely talented asshole and I will not overlook his lacking past because of an impressive present, I don't care what any Mayweather sympathizer wants to say. To his credit, he stood his ground, was aggressive and took Shane Mosley out of the fight. Credit where credit is due, the same as with criticism. In the past I've said Floyd has rarely taken risks in his career and I stand by that opinion even though there is a sea of people who will now be Floyd fans.

Oh and to the Manny sympathizers, I love Manny Pacquiao, but that doesn't mean he can beat Floyd. Floyd is bigger, stronger, faster and better. Manny is more aggressive. That's four assets that can and will neutralize Manny if the fight ever occurs. Am I basing this on his performance against Mosley exclusively? No. I'm basing this on tonight's performance and the reality that Floyd didn't look smaller than Shane, which I thought would be the case.

Now does this mean I'm a Floyd Mayweather fan?

Simply put, no. The best thing Mayweather has brought to boxing is the 24/7 series which means that apart from bringing a reality TV motif to the sport, I could care less for his existence. As for the comments made by Mayweather upon his comeback, let me feel free to quote and react.

In case you didn't hear it when it happened... Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Leonard Ellerbe (his manager) stated two things... that the king is back and that boxing wasn't the same without Floyd Mayweather and they're right on both fronts.

The king of running his mouth was in fact back in the mix.

And secondly, I wholeheartedly agree that boxing wasn't the same without Floyd Mayweather...

It was better.

Cheers

2 comments:

Me said...

Well, 24/7 is De La Hoya's baby (it's his show and only runs when one his his fighters is fighting)... but the show is soooooo good with him! LOL.

Most epic fight, dude. Screamed at my tv all the way to the bank.

Joker said...

Epic.........???? Ummm ok. And I'd rather less 24/7 and more boxing. But alas, reality tv rules the airwaves. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the show, but I prefer great fights and I've never seen a great Mayweather fight. Hell of a boxing skill exhibition, don't get me wrong, and if the fight sucked I honestly think it's all on Shane, but I just don't think we'll ever remotely see eye to eye on the Mayweather opinion. He's a pro wrestling personality in a contact sport and his fights never even come close to glimpsing the entertainment 24/7 produces.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...