Oct 14, 2010

Chi-chi-chi, le-le-le. In other words, enjoy life.

If there is one thing we need to take away from the whole Chile experience is this: at the end of the day, we need to enjoy life to the fullest and give a shit about banal problems. I find myself worrying too much about stuff I really could care less. I try my best to be a decent human being in all the ways I can. But I cannot make everyone happy sometimes, I cannot deliver all the shit that my clients need sometimes, I cannot buy stuff that I need sometimes, yada yada yada.

But I really need to stop worrying about other people/situations and start enjoying myself and my life, even more than I do now.

As I sat there watching miner by miner come up back to civilization, and knowing the fact that they stayed there for almost more than two months, I was deeply ashamed of ever complaining about stupid shit. Or even feeling bad or guilty about idiotic things. These men showed me, and the world, that there are bigger fish to fry.

Life is damn short and pretty cool if you decide to notice. By getting angry, by getting sad, by feeling jaded or noticing the bad things about your day, you are missing out on feeling like those miners, sans the accident.

Yeah, you don't need to fall in a hole miles deep in earth to actually realize how good you have it. If you have friends who actually care about you, if you have someone to back you up when you need them the most, if your family doesn't hate your guts and actually sort of enjoy your company and viceversa, if your children think you are cool 75% of the time... if you have all that, then trust me, you're good.

Oh but how about when you let down someone, how about when you are way too stressed to be happy, how about when your kids are misbehaving to the point of medication, how about the really shitty moments in life? Well, they're just that. Shitty moments that maybe last from 15 minutes to a couple of hours. We're not perfect. I am definitively sure I am far from it. But I need to stop worrying about being perfect for my family, for my friends, for my love. Billy Joel said it best when he sang about not changing and people loving you just the way you are.

If we all start to remember the good times that people, family, loved ones and friend give us, we'll notice that the bad moments are really few. Will it take an accident to make you realize this?

I sure don't need to be stuck down Earth to do so.

Bravo to all the men who decided to survive and teach us a lesson or two on sheer determination to live and Gracias to all the incredible people who joined the fight to keep them alive and get them back home. Que vivan los mineros de Chile.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...