Jun 5, 2013

My lunch time is sacred

For some weird reason, that 1 hour we're all allotted to shove food down our throats is apparently not sacred to some people. It's happened way too many times when someone just NEEDED to ask me something about work while a bite of food is not yet swallowed. It's happened a lot more often that someone just had to talk about how much work sucks during their lunch hour.

Work sucks, I get that, I get that some people have to vent. What I don't get is people who can't let things go for one hour while they try and chew and digest. People ask my why I often lunch alone and there are two answers:

1. People can't put their phone down for one second.

2. People often need to either talk shop or talk shit about the shop... and I'm not interested.

For me, lunch time is the time I use to write, the time I catch up with friends through emails or phone calls and an hour and spare change to disconnect from what I'm paid to do. That's because letting go of work isn't a chore or a challenge, but a necessity. I can't always be talking about work or else I'll go insane because last I checked, I don't love what I do and the last thing I want is to spend free time wasting away bitching about the job I'm well aware I hate.

Other people aren't the same, they feel the need to stain every conversation with the topic of work and it's infuriating when they want to include me, be it in an impromptu lunch-work session or to badmouth someone. With all that goes on in the world, you'd swear there'd be something better to talk about, but no... there isn't.

It's work... and work.... and workety work, and more work and work again and worka-worka-worka WORK WORK WORKKKKKKKKKKKK..... seriously, when will it end? When will you let work go? When will you realize that there is SO much more to life than work, and hating work, and talking about hating work, and hating about talking about hating work.

For the time being, I'll continue to lunch with my headphones on, a pen in my hand and the wonderful company of a piece of paper. When you feel like talking about something else, schedule an appointment with my secretary.

Cheers

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate? Louis Vuitton Handbags
Best Marketing Agencies In UK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...