Jul 24, 2013

I dreamt of black people, and I wasn’t afraid


Last night I had a dream where I was the sole Latino in a sea of black people. Some people might be terrified at the prospect… I had a blast. I spoke to a lot of them, partied until 7:00 a.m. (first time I’ve seen time told in a dream) and woke up feeling refreshed and happy.

This obviously means I am not a citizen of the great state of Florida.

I’m not sure if this is Florida’s attempt at settling the score for the OJ trial, but that not even the charge of manslaughter made it through seems as if people don’t understand the concept of the term. Manslaughter, in its definition is defined as the unlawful killing of a human being without malice aforethought. Homicide is even more general: the killing of a human being by another.

The only fact we know for sure is that a kid is dead because someone shot him. That someone has admitted he shot the gun, even if he alleged it was in self defense. Yet he wasn’t even found guilty of killing the other party… somehow the logic in this is lost on me.

Regardless of what happened, and the lesions on George Zimmerman’s body indicate that something did in fact happen (bloody nose and two lacerations on the back of his head), the fact remains. Someone died because someone else had a gun, had possibly watched a couple too many movies with Steven Segal in them, and pulled the trigger after being told by authorities to just walk away.

But no… it was an “unfortunate accident” so let’s go on with our lives. Now we have the country on the brink of a second Civil War except this time it won’t be the North vs. the South, but white versus black.

There’s something broken in the world and here’s a newsflash, it won’t be fixed with guns and bullets. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your unique perspective and message of hope. It is very good to be reminded that language and "knowledge" can dissociate us not only from others but from ourselves. vasectomy NC

aarongrey112 said...

Hi, Nice site I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing. Would you please consider a link to my website on your page. Please email me back. Thanks!

Aaron Grey
aarongrey112 at gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...