Jan 21, 2006

Go watch this movie: Munich

But before you go to the movies... click here to vote for adssuck as the Best Ad Agency Blog. Thank you.

Disclaimer: I know it is a touchy subject for me to bring to the table, but what the hell... Just don't start a Jihad on the blog, please. We're peaceful pissed off creatives, that's all.

Ok. So, today was Munich day. I'm not a big follower of the Israel vs. Palestine Road Rules Challenge, really. But I had watched History channel long enough to learn about the incident and what happened. Trust me, Munich goes way beyond any tv program, ever. We have all seen the masked dude outside the Olympic Village... but at least I was enlightened a bit today. Of course, it seems all one sided, most of all to the side that Spielberg is sitting on, but I think it gives an semi-unbiased look at what happens when people just don't get along. In the end... war is good for nothing.

First of all, I will not go into the who is right and who is wrong debate. This review is not about the politics behind the movie, it's just about a great flick. First of all, Spielberg does it again. His photography is amazing - cool hand held shots are all over the place, making you feel like you are there being shot at. Second, the music. John Williams, but of course. It sounded kind of "Schindler-ist" a bit, but hey, if it works, it works. Third, and most important of all - dammit, you feel like you are in 1972 all over again. The clothes, the hair, the settings were done perfectly. There is even a wide angle shot where you can see cars way far from where the actors are, and still, 70's parafernalia. Excellent attention to detail.

The Hulk dude rules. Ok, ok. Eric Bana rules in Munich (I watched the Hulk and was not impressed). He acts the shit out of that role, trust me. It is not a smooth ride, and Bana makes us feel his every single move and thought: anger, sadness, frustration, need for vengeance... I liked Geoffrey Rush too, but hey this man is a god of actors, so this is no surprise to me. Sad to see he didn't appear that much.

The final scene is powerful as hell. For me, it was a slap in the face, a realization of what happens when people just forget about talking, forget about trying to understand one another and letting their emotions run free. Trust me, those final seconds will make you think, and think hard.

Peace.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...