May 4, 2008

The benefit of resting.


So this past week I bitched about how much work I had and how damn tired I was. To give you a rundown of my personal ailments:

1) I had acute bronchitis for almost two weeks, caused by working on an extremely cold environment.

2) I now have a sharp pain under the ribcage, left side, courtesy of all my coughing. It is called intercostal muscle pain.

3) I had a knee surgery which demanded therapy, which I haven't had time to do, and my knee sometimes hurts like a motherfucker.

4) I have been suffering from extreme insomnia, which when I finally go to sleep, induces some extremely bad nightmares. Tsunami every Wednesday. Yey.

5) I am still almost fainting for no particular reason, I went to an endocrinologist who gave me a shitload of exams that I haven't had time to take. Oh, the winner of this one is, if a gland is making hormonal trouble, I will need to go back to the operating table.

I remember a couple of months ago where I told Joker that he needed to rest from a shitty job because if not, he would get sick as a dog. Every night thru messenger I begged him to do it. He eventually took a full week of rest, which he really needed. I was happy to hear him with loads of energy and happy again. The funny thing is? I talked and yapped about him getting some rest, and I haven't done the same. The Joker man has all the right to yell at me I told you so at the top of his lungs.

I have been taking my own advice for the first time in my life. I have been resting all weekend long. At first, I thought... You will never feel normal again. The word tired is not a good description of what I have been feeling. I can honestly say I was working myself to almost death. Now I understand when people go to the hospital for extreme exhaustion. I almost did go one night, but I stopped myself because I needed to be at the office first thing in the morning and I knew if I went to the Emergency room I would not make it.

In all the time I have been sick, there is also a funny thing that happens. I start to daydream. I start thinking about being at the beach. I start thinking of sleeping somewhere beautiful, where I can hear birds chirping and water flowing. And it gets more frustrating because I know I don't have time right now for any of it.

This weekend was the line in the sand. I made myself just relax. I am not going to think about all the work that needs to get done. I will not think about any header, any logo, any billboard that needs a revision. Just sleep, rest, lay... be still. Well, I am happy to report that I am returning to be a normal human being. Call Darwin, my friends. Me is almost a homo sapiens. If I were to pinpoint where I am in the evolution of man, dammit I am almost walking up right. I am happy.

None of us should do this, ever again. We need to say when we had enough, and we need to say it more often. I joked with a friend of mine the other day that I would never get a medal for all the work I've done in so little time. No one person would say, dammit Me, you achieved the Guinness World Record for advertising material this 2008. I don't know why I didn't stop working and actually rested. Even though my body was slowly winding down and it was clearly crying out for help, I didn't stop.

I learned my lesson, and I hope that you see this and think about yourself too. We are not super heroes. There is a fine line between being responsible and finishing the work on time and losing yourself while trying to deliver. Hey, maybe my ego got in the way. Maybe I wanted to prove myself so bad that I could do all the things I wanted that my body simply said, in a nice way, fuck off.

I will start to listen to myself a little bit more. Have a boss that is working you to death? Have a client who does not respect the fact that you have a life?

Save this post. Print it. Send it.

My gift to you.

Enjoy life people. Much muaks, Me.

2 comments:

Joker said...

Sweety, I yell at execs not friends. :)

I truly hope you take a dose of your own medicine and take the foot off the accelerator a bit. Clients don't deserve this type of sacrifice though we always learn the hard way.

Feel free to print this post as well and put it in front of your desk. Read it from time to time. Reflect and remember, a client is often times not worth their own weight in shit.

cheers luv.

RestrictionsApply said...

Friends don’t let friends succumb to The Man. That said, I wish to share some random thoughts on the matter:
• There’s an underlying theme connecting most of the posts here, and it’s that our work is destroying us, physically and mentally.
• A well-deserved rest is a short-term solution to a long-term problem. The shit will hit the fan soon enough and we’ll be right back here within the next four months.
• Granted, some people get off on the adrenaline of it all, but it’s not a life for everyone.
• Over-promising has never improved the client/agency relationship, so it’s not worth it.
• What can we do to live the life we want, not the one our clients force upon us?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...