Sep 15, 2005

Creative Teams: your other marriage

I have had almost 10 husbands in my short life. At least it feels that way when you are working in the weirdest relationship you will ever have; copywriter and designer. And don't give me the crap about being a woman and looking it like a relationship. Men teams are the same also.



It's a weird relationship 'cause you have to establish, fast as hell, some kind of brutal honesty that does not hurt the other's ego. Hey, for me, that comes with years of friendship. Basically, you have to become best buddies, on the spot. And, over time, I've had my share of wacked out husbands. Please meet some of them:

• The "l'm not in the mood" husband.
The designer that simply didn't care about the deadline, so he stretched it out until I was a total wreck, dreading a night of no sleep. Oh the nights I suffered...

• The "I love you - I hate you" husband.
Fun to work with, having a great time. Make a comment to change something - get ready for hard faces, huge sighs and even fights for no apparent reason.

• The "I'm wearing the pants around here, so shut up" husband
Forget it. Those are the ones that you simply type the copy and smile. I tried to say a comment once. Might as well told him that I wish he was dead.

• The "Let's make this even more complicated" Boyfriend (Didn't last long)
Do a job with this fella and you'll be working for a week for a simple classified ad. This man WILL look into every single damn concept there can possibly be on this earth for something that doesn't deserve that much attention.

If you are still a lonely copy or designer out there, trying to find a team mate, I would suggest this simple thing: stick to what works. If you think you found brutal honesty and no ego bashing between you, stay together. Your work will be much better for it, and you'll work, believe it or not, happier.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...