Jun 5, 2006

Yet another lesson on why I never ask for favors

It’s funny, no matter how hard I try, no matter how many people I offer a helping hand, 90% of the times I’ve ever asked for a favor, people don’t come through and while some people insist on looking at the glass as half full, I am not one of those people.

This weekend was a perfect case study of why I hate asking for favors and it rests solely on the reason that I hate being disappointed. No matter where I’ve worked, if I’ve ever asked for a favor I get gypped. Do I need tickets, a VIP pass, a T-shirt or even a free beer? Sorry sonny, we tried but we couldn’t come through… for you. And I make that last part clear because I keep seeing people getting what they ask for and it’s a combination of various factors mainly stemming on the fact that I’m not one to beg for anything. If it’s so much of a hassle or you need me to kiss your ass too much, by all means shove it and keep it for yourself. But if you say ok, let’s go, you’re game and you’re going to come through, why do people always end up fucking up in the end. And I’m not saying friends, I’m saying people. Fellow co-workers, the people that in a war-like situation you’d need to have your back. And what happens? Ambush because, sorry we couldn’t come through… for you. Johnny pencil dick made it, Leslie juicy tits always gets royal treatment, Kyle I-might-have-a-yacht is safe, yet joker guy-who-always-does-his-best-to-pull-through-for-you gets the shaft. In all honesty, not a single time have promo people truly been there for me and I can count the times an AE comes through with a favor, and chance has it, it’s the same people I see as fit AE’s and nice people because those are the ones that back you up because you back them up.

Do I get an apology, something to make up for the fuck up and embarassment? No, Why should I? I actually got asked by a guy who shafted me this weekend for a favor. I was tempted to say no, but being the fucking schmuck I am, I did him the favor anyways, even if 2 minutes later I got confirmation that what I did wasn’t even read, much less used. So coming to terms with all the jerkoffs that have not been able to give me a helping hand when I needed it, yet they still seem to need my help from time to time, here’s one last request, could you please fuck off?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AW, I feel so bad for you! I wish you worked at my agency, and I would get you tickets to something fun! I've hooked up everybody at least once in the past year, from the president, to the production person, to every single AE, to the receptionist, in addition to a bazillion clients. I share the love baby...I share the love...

Joker said...

then bless you and I just wish we worked at the same place. I always thank with a case of beer, a night hanging out or miscelaneous favors ranging from copywriter works to anything I could help with. Too bad people like you have eluded me and I've been faced with four companies where I've gotten said reaction and subsequent pleas saying man you should have called me, I would've helped. Funny part is that I did call... Go figure.

Thanks for the kind words though, and good that you share the love. I hope it's contagious.

All the best

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...