May 27, 2009

How could this thing happened? Ratatouille!


I am kicking myself in the ovaries. Hard Core. I am mad at myself, Hulk mad. I haven't told you about the wonder that is Ratatouille! Blasphemy!

A couple of months ago I was so idiotic that I wrote that people would love to watch Ratatouille instead of another movie and this was a mistake. By all means, you can spank me anywhere you choose. I deserve shame upon me. But the wonder of this blog is correcting your mistakes and admitting them. So in order to make all things good in the world and earning my place in heaven, I will gladly report how simply wonderful this movie is.

Ratatouille rules!!!!! You first think... oh come on a kids movie! NO WAY! This is NOT for kids. Yes, they will love the little rats and giggle at their funny story. But this film, at last, is one of those gems done for us.

First of all, the animation is spot on. Talk about beautiful and elegant. Every little detail! The colors, the little hairs on every single rat, the set designs... oh did I mention the film is in Paris? Trust me, I went there a couple of months ago and they did it justice. They portrayed the city as beautiful as it is.

The voices? Incredible! In this film they did what seemed to be crazy. The actors are not stellar "you know me by my voice" dudes and dudettes. There are a few surprises that I hope you catch, but I think I got what they were doing. Instead of casting high profile actors, they focused on a great script and great animation. Gutsy move if you ask me.

The thing about the film that I love is... it's about cooking and enjoying life. It's about the beauty of flavors, the nurturing side of food, the art that it is. Again, not something that a little kid can notice. But it does have its kid lesson: you can do anything if you try hard enough. A perfect recipe for adults and kids. Damn, if more animated movies were like this one, we'd all come flocking in the theaters. For me it was a surprise.

So, the next time you dismiss a movie just because you think it's for kids, remember my blunder. Don't judge a movie by it's main audience. You will surely be surprised at what they serve you for 8 bucks and a bucket of pop corn.

3 comments:

Jacey Berg said...

I agree! And I am psyched to see Up! at tomorrow's midnight showing. I am 24 years old and unashamed!

RestrictionsApply said...

If that rocked your world, try The Iron Giant.

Unknown said...

RestrictionsApply:

Yes, Iron Giant is an absolutely fantastic movie! (For those who've not heard of it, it was written and directed by Brad Bird, same guy that wrote and directed The Incredibles and Ratatouille.) The studio completely botched the launch and promotion of that movie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...