Oct 26, 2005

Daddy, Daddy Can I have a job AND a pony?

If there's anything truly beautiful in life, it's family. Gosh o golly I just love my family. I have two brothers and a wonderful mother and I would do anything for them, except maybe refer them for a job they aren't qualified for.

See, although I love my family, I'm not one to bullshit myself into believing they can do any job. Different people have different skill sets and part of life's journey is figuring out what niche you want to dedicate a portion of your life to say you are a professional or who knows maybe an entrepreneur or even a fuck up. After all it is your life, do what you want. But arriving to work to face someone who has a job solely because of family ties and or strong friendship bonds is just annoying as fuck. This is so not only because they have the luxury of being mediocre and still getting a paycheck and pats on the back, but because we all KNOW that they have much more leeway and pull in the company than you can ever dream of having.

By all means let me clarify one thing. This DOES NOT mean that if said person is qualified you shouldn't give them the job. Hell if your loved one or close friend can do the job why not give it to him or her. After all, I'm sure most higher-ups would love to be able to say that they truly passed the torch of their family name to someone able. I think it's actually nice and even semi poetic when it happens. What I don't think is poetic is seeing Daddy's favorite getting treated like the little prince or princess. Blow me AND your work companions. It's the least you can do for falling into one of the oldest most tired clichés in any industry because bitch as we may, there's no way this one is going away, but at least it's nice to be able to "blitch" (bitch on blog) about it.

So now you know people, if job copies contain little star stickers, "great job champ" comments or are constantly passed onto you... don't fret, just blitch about it.

3 comments:

Me said...

Dude, you nailed it, perfectly. I hate it when people think they can hire their kid just because. Even worse, I've seen people hire sons or daughters based solely on the fact that their client has an account at the agency.

Those guys can be very dangerous, because they know, deep inside, they have the power to fuck the system: don't work at all and still have the bosses smile while they're getting slammed from behind.

See? Hiring kids is just as bad as hiring boobs. Ha.

Anonymous said...

My favorite was when I had hired an intern (non-paid) for the media department - a very nice girl who I had known previously from social circles. She was getting her degree in communications and needed an internship for school. This chick worked her butt off for me everyday after school. THEN, I was forced to hire a client's kid as an additional intern, they PAID her, the other girl found out about it, but still continued to do the majority of the work. (the client's kid showed up sporadically, and played on the internet all day, and never did anything correctly that I asked her to do.) I felt really bad for the my "real" intern, but hey, when you think about it, wasn't it a good lesson in how it really is in the advertising world sometimes? So in my mind, the experience had extra special value for her - REAL WORLD POLITICS BULLSH*T! Thank god, she ended up becoming a teacher...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it isn't even about competency. I worked at a "family run" agency in Florida once, and the owner's daughter was the head of account service. She worked her butt off, but was just the most awful person you'd ever want to meet. Screamed at people constantly, belittled everyone, etc. She got away with it because she was daddy's little girl. Anyone else acting that way would have been canned in about two minutes. By the way, she's now the company president. And I hear she's still a horrible shrew.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...